Background

Sunday, February 14, 2010

Converse, pearls, and a little Frank Sinatra

Ciao, ciao!

Sorry for the lack of updates. Lately, I haven't found inspiration to write one. I suppose I could have just given you a pointless post of me going on about useless thoughts no one cares about, but I wouldn't do that to you.

Which leads me to the subject at hand: inspiration. I get inspired by anything and everything-from music, to movies, to books,to cities, to eras- you name it.

Normally when I'm extremely inspired by something, it is incorporated into my life somehow. Either by channeling a certain look, making lyrics mantras to live by, or trying to adjust to a new attitude. The things I'm inspired by make me into the complicated mess of a person I am today, beginning just when I was a little girl.

I don't remember exactly how old I was, but I do remember this scene perfectly. My mom,dad and I were in the kitchen with the stereo alternating between Dean Martin and Frank Sinatra. My dad was telling me how when he was younger, this was the music my grandpa would listen to. I then danced with him. Ever since then I have had a love affair with Frank Sinatra, and Italian music. So much so, that my room at home is filled with Frank Sinatra pictures, books--and they even got a Frank impersonator to surprise me at my grad party. I would marry him. He has this aura of coolness that surrounds him. I believe I should have been born in this era-- the late forties and fifties. I just appeals to me. The style, clothes, music, and all around attitude. The women acted like ladies, and the men were proper gentlemen. Like in the movie The Notebook. I can't tell you how many time I tried to mimic Ally's style, or dream about finding a man like Noah Calhoun. I know it all sounds cheesy, but I like it.

Another is Audrey Hepburn. I believe I was a junior in high school, when I had decided to have a movie night. I was searching for a Frank Sinatra film, when I came across Breakfast at Tiffany's. I had always been a fan of Audrey--but to be honest, I wasn't well acquainted with her work. All it took was for me to watch the opening scene: gracefully walking down the streets of New York in a beautiful black dress, with Moon River softly emphasizing the greatness of it all. I knew I wanted to be just like her. I soon watched all her movies and learned as much as I could about her. I knew I wanted to be just like her--from her impeccably classic fashion sense, to her kind works with UNICEF, to her endearing personality. She just seems to exude an elegance. I want people to see me that way.

The thing I love about life though, is that there is no ONE thing that defines me. One day I will channel Audrey with an elegant little black dress, complete with flats and pearls. The next day I'll channel a hippie look: a t-shirt, jeans and converse. Then the next day I'll channel a beachy look. The list can go on. It is weird how thing impact me. Everything I love and anything I see that I like will show up in my life someway. One inspiration will lead to another.


This is the beauty of life--we are are just products of our passions, the things we love and inspire us. They are the things that make this life a little easier.

The saddest people I've ever met in life are the ones who don't care deeply about anything at all. Passion and satisfaction go hand in hand, and without them, any happiness is only temporary, because there's nothing to make it last -Nicholas Sparks, Dear John
Buona notte.:)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger.